Istanbul is unique for being a capital city during two distinctively different empires; the Christian Byzantine era and the Islamic Ottoman period, and the legacy of both is still visible today. Although the country’s capital is Ankara, Istanbul remains Turkey’s commercial, historical and cultural center. It is the only city in the world that rests on two continents; Europe, where you will discover the old city and Asia, which is modern and stylish. The majestic Bosphorus Strait dissects the two halves of the city, which is famous for its wonderful ruins, old palaces, ancient mosques and churches, hammams (old-world bathhouses) and colorful bazaars.
To Do List:
- Be inspired by stunning views of the Bosphorus Strait
- Dolmabahce Palace should be on every itinerary
- Spend time admiring the awesome architecture of Suleymaniye Mosque
- Marvel at the beautiful Byzantine mosaics at the Kariye Museum
- Visit the bustling Grand Bazaar (Kapali Carsisi) where you can shop for handicrafts, jewellery, carpets and leather items